This enamel pin is inspired by a trio of stained glass rose windows covering the cathedral’s three main portals facing North, South, and West. The windows, built in the 13th century, are a hallmark of Gothic Architecture. They are arranged with 100’s of stained-glass panes within carved stone that fan out from a central image.
The western rose window was the first to be completed around 1220. It is the smallest of the windows at approximately 32 ft in diameter.
The South Rose window, the largest at about 42 ft in diameter, was a gift from King Louis IX. The North rose was the last to be completed around 1260.
All three windows survived the fire of April 15, 2019.